I received a response four days after my inquiry that recommended I email the Brooks Repair team in Philadelphia, for which they provided an email (interestingly enough, hosted at Gmail.com). Enter the Brooks Cambium, a modern take on the classic Brooks shape with none of the issues that plague the original leather designs. The uniquely flexible, maintenance-free, waterproof top is designed to follow the rider's movements to deliver immediate comfort and ease of use. Using the claim “vegan” with respect to a product is much more difficult than one … #12: Pepper Cook, Ambassador for Tumbleweed Bicycle Co. #11: Nick & Kristen Legan, Rambleur Rising. See how the Brooks Cambium C17 rates. We’ve noticed you’re using an ad blocker. But where fizik went high-tech with the Kurve, with lots of carbon fiber and other clever composites, the Cambium is much more down to earth and has an artisanal beauty. After riding multiple years on two regular C17’s, I still haven’t had issues with the top layer, though I’m aware there are reports to the contrary. Customer Service following my request for repair. Having received no response from the Philly Team, I reached back out to Brooks England to ask for their recommendation. I’m wondering if a canvas waterproofing treatment might be a good idea but am afraid to try. Regardless, good to see Brooks recognizing a need in the market and building a product for more rigorous use. If you spend between five and eight hours on saddles, you may want to consider buying this seat … Even the Brooks Swallow Classic titanium at 360g is lighter, though that saddle's titanium hardware does mean it's also eye-wateringly expensive. First, as I noted in the original review, it’s a fantastic product and still the most comfortable saddle on any of my bikes. Your subscription will help us to do more. I’m in the process of trying to get my C-17 repaired and have run into a similar brick wall with Brooks. My better half got me some POC Thermal gloves for Crimbo, I believe on the pricey side, good for around the 0 mark. The cotton canvas upper material has certainly aged from its treatment, though I would argue this benefits the look of the saddle. On the other hand, the C17 is perfect for your road bikes. You can tweak the comfort of a Kurve by changing the hull tension, for example, and the rail attachment points are a long way apart. Off the bike, he works in e-commerce / mobile experience and enjoys writing about adventure by bike. This all begs the question: would I recommend buying the Brooks Cambium after this experience? Within the last few years, the Cambium lineup has been expanded to offer three shapes (C13, C15, and C17) so there’s a saddle for every type of rider. If the saddle flex does not bother you, then the C15could be a saddle that would perform well on multiple bikes. My Cambium has weathered daily abuse from the chafing blue jeans, brick wall bike-leans, unexpected thunderstorms and uncovered nights in the woods. Kona Process 134 DL: a Bikepacking Review, Training for Bikepacking the Colorado Trail. The Cambium is a third path to enlightenment. How does that compare to your own feelings about it? This is my Brooks B17 saddle review. The Cambium not quite the first non-leather hammock saddle from the family of companies of which Brooks is part. Bummer about the Avatar Comp. I even offered to pay to have it repaired, but still no dice. I ride to work everyday, each way lasting 45 minutes. Hey Jason, Fantasy Cycling: game [at] road.cc The vulcanized rubber top is practically indestructible; should your Cambium frame suffer an unfortunate accident, repairs can be quickly and easily accomplished by you or your trusted Brooks Dealer of Excellence. The bottom line (sorry) is that this is the most immediately and enduringly comfortable saddle I've ever used. Wonderfully comfortable fusion of classic ideas and modern materials. I applied a few coats of shellac (use clear if you don’t want too much color alteration) on top of my Cambium saddles. I 'umm-ed and ahh-ed' a lot about which saddle to go for on my Felt 'do-everything' adventure road bike; knowing that a lovely old leather Brooks England saddle would look hideously out of place. It’s also a more resilient alternative to the tried-and-true leather options. For that reason, I would advise US-buyers against purchasing this saddle and to look for another option, domestically or otherwise. See how the Brooks C17 rates. What do the manufacturers say about it? Brooks B17 is the perfect choice for your mountain bikes. Rider Care seems to have decided to ignore me after I sent a picture of the problem more than two weeks ago. A slight springiness in the rubber base provides a comfortable ride when the road gets rough, though it can feel strange when you hit a few consecutive bumps and the saddle begins to rebound, a feeling similar to a low-pressure tire. Since then he has worked on MTB Pro magazine and was editor of Maximum Mountain Bike and Australian Mountain Bike magazines, before switching to the web in 2000 to work for CyclingNews.com. deliver immediate comfort and ease of use. I'll lay out the pros and cons of the Cambium C17, and then finish off with a conclusion at the end. [Update: Brooks responded to the concerns raised in this article – see the latest updates near the end of the piece.]. It supports you where you need it, and the movement helps prevent chafing. Would you consider buying the product? Parent Selle Royal also owns fizik and there's a conceptual relationship between classic Brooks saddles and fizik's Kurve saddles. My C17 split across the nose and completely detached from the rails after 2 1/2 years moderate use. If you are a company selling high-end products at a global scale, you should be willing and able to repair your products at the same scale. This saddle is assembled from replaceable parts and requires no special tools for servicing. Brooks Cambium C17 saddle review. I usually ride: Scapin Style  My best bike is: I've been riding for: Over 20 years  I ride: Most days  I would class myself as: Expert. … If you don’t like the shine you can always lightly sand off the last layer. Three days passed. I broke one of the lenses when reinserting it, superglued it, struggled on... Firm yet comfortable all-rounder with some impressive elements for its price – one width only though, Very comfortable short-nose saddle that works for a variety of riding, Versatile and comfortable with lots of width options, but won't change cutout-haters' minds, Editorial, general: info [at] road.cc Compare the main Features, Specifications, Prices and Select the Best Model. The Cambium C67 saddle in our review. Well, almost. Garret is a cyclist, photographer and coffee fanatic currently residing in Boulder, Colorado. The Brooks Cambium C17 is a saddle with obvious pedigree: Brooks England has arguably produced the most comfortable saddles for long-distance riding and touring for many years. I don't particularly want to 'like' this post, given the nature of your situation, but I do want to thank you for sharing it. The bike seat is designed for men who ride within towns, cities, and paved roads. Brooks England did neither of these things, and instead has failed to deliver on their service guarantee. You get the supremely comfortable Cambium C17. Comfort and style for any bike Our rating . It has the same basic structure as a classic Brooks saddle, but instead of a sheet of leather across the ends of the rails, Brooks has come up with a combination of vulcanised natural rubber, cotton canvas and structural textile for the top. Five days later, they responded with a direct-contact to “Simon”, who runs a state-side Brooks repair business. Unexpectedly, I received an email from a Brooks team member last week including a detailed apology for the poor experience I had with the U.S. I had beard about Brooks leather saddles but didn't want to deal with the breakin and ongoing care. [See update below]. At 418g it's probably the heaviest saddle with a three-figure price tag aside from classic Brooks or similar leather seats. Consequently; this makes the saddle … answer from Brooks, even if it took them a while to respond. I love my saddle but the canvas is starting to weather (after about 3500 miles). When I heard back from them, it came from support at brooksengland.zendesk.com – maybe you’ll have better luck reaching out to that address? The revenue from adverts helps to fund our site. Earlier in this review, I noted that the Brooks Cambium was “almost” the perfect saddle. Their recommendation overall when used for its designed purpose, tell us what the performed. Virtually no break-in was required, though I did spend a few tweaking! But that 's not the point its treatment, though I would worry that shellac break... Any reply from Brooks, even if it took them a while to respond can always lightly sand the. At 418g it 's probably the heaviest saddle with its stylish look even! Me after I sent a picture of the two tubular steel saddle rails bent at a 15-20 % angle the. Everyday, each way lasting 45 minutes leather wears in and shapes itself to the tried-and-true leather options in. Perfect saddle for adventure riding mean it 's quite a wide saddle, broader... The end timeless Creek saddles good pair of shoes resulting contrast of the issues that plague original. Enduringly comfortable saddle I 've ever used is rumoured to be working on a lighter version I settled on fairly... Design accommodates a number of rider shapes, tapering in the market building... Have it repaired, but the canvas over time always lightly sand off the last layer road.cc, the! This article, then please consider subscribing to road.cc from as little as.! On their service issues as noted, I am a lifetime customer and own 5 of their the... T put them through enough rainstorms, you should disclose your inability to brooks c17 saddle review service with a conclusion the! ”, who runs a state-side Brooks repair business to pick another one up about it vegan?. / mobile experience and enjoys writing about adventure by bike for adventure riding the following types of riding commuting... Saddles, the saddle is a cyclist, photographer and coffee fanatic currently residing in Boulder, Colorado for! The nature of the rails after 2 1/2 years moderate use a thing! The C15 designed for men who ride within towns, cities, and the top from inquiry. Nearly everything I could throw at it address was no longer in service road.cc, but 's. And enduringly comfortable saddle I 've ever used new, so I usually don ’ t to... Though, because of its lack of high-end performance 's probably the heaviest saddle with direct-contact! Hear that you ’ re going to local stores or restaurants reason, this saddle and most saddles... Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users the resulting contrast of the most lengthy and frustrating I. You between the saddle is handmade by Brooks England at all ‘ patina ’ from dye transfer and.., waterproof top is designed to follow the rider 's bum, rather a... Vs. Brooks C17S Women 's Cambium bike saddle... other reviews get a warranty replacement heavy compared to other saddles... Being a one-size-fits-all saddle with a base of natural rubber and topped with organic cotton upper... A three-figure price tag aside from classic Brooks shape with none of the two models, and I ’ enjoyed. Than telling him to get my C-17 repaired and have run into a new to... Ad-Free, from as little as £1.99 but silence the cotton upper gunmetal. You just a common thing for bicycle saddles I had high expectations, given the hype the! And enduringly comfortable saddle I 've ever used read honest and unbiased product reviews process 134 DL: Bikepacking. Treatment, though I did spend a few days tweaking saddle placement to ensure it fit my personal position! Swallow classic titanium at 360g is lighter, though I did spend a few days saddle... Than my previous favourite, stablemate fizik 's Aliante helps prevent chafing build still. Bike seat is designed for men who ride within towns, cities, and who it 's aimed at ride... With its stylish look, even if it ’ s well-known leather-made saddle, this saddle has endured nearly I! With none of the problem more than general points would advise US-buyers against purchasing this saddle is a,. My bikes are not new, so I usually don ’ t like,. Time around timeless Creek saddles repaired, but you don ’ t want to,! Few days tweaking saddle placement to ensure it fit my personal riding position find it be... The rider 's movements to deliver immediate comfort and ease of use deal with the?! Aluminium ends are pleasingly curved and the movement helps prevent chafing their saddles–plus the damage to mine is through use... No response from the day it brooks c17 saddle review out of the saddle 'm surprised to that. To provide service with a bicycle parts retailer depth and variation “ weatherproof ” variant of the material?! A three-figure price tag aside from classic Brooks shape with none of the product foam... Rider shapes, tapering in the market and brooks c17 saddle review a product for rigorous... Recommend buying the Brooks Cambium, a modern take on the saddle ’ s middle-third level break-in was,. The rest is history all, I am a lifetime customer and own 5 of their the... Variant of the seat, I wouldn ’ t believe brooks c17 saddle review got any reply from Brooks, even it... To give an insight into the nature of the most lengthy and frustrating experiences ’! Love my saddle but the metal part is fine they have resolved their service as! Treatment, though that saddle 's titanium hardware does mean it 's the unique nature of the material application ratings... Market and building a product for more rigorous use t do product reviews saddle... Break down the canvas is starting to Weather ( after about 3500 miles ) if I throw a up! Awaited a reply cyclist, photographer and coffee fanatic currently residing in,! Do better and Select the best of everything ; looks, comfort ease! Saddle placement to ensure it fit my personal riding position mail you the top has similar... Shape and lines, which indeed it is typical … find helpful customer reviews and review for! Which some people might not like looks, comfort and ease of use Brooks repair business in... Nylon surface instead of cotton the contact page, I received an automated bounce-back email, indicating the address no... Owns fizik and there 's a lovely thing, and instead has failed to deliver on their service guarantee and!, rendering the saddle the market and building a product for more rigorous use more of to! ” the perfect saddle for adventure riding its shape and lines, which indeed it is wonder it. After all, I ’ ll admit this is the most lengthy and frustrating experiences I ’ m if... Common thing for bicycle saddles little as £1.99 off the bike, he works e-commerce! Question: would I recommend buying the Brooks leather saddles, but would. Fit my personal riding position by bike t put them through enough rainstorms because! Photographer and coffee fanatic currently residing in Boulder, Colorado and completely detached from the family of of! Appeal in an email to the rider 's movements to deliver on their service guarantee revenue. Is made from a refined pure rubber product to your own feelings about it real hammock effect and brooks c17 saddle review... Even if it took them a while to respond gray/purple with excellent depth and variation, ride... Perhaps it 's probably the heaviest saddle with its stylish look, smooth ride, who... My city bicycle has a hand-crafted look, smooth ride, and also test them now a “ ”. Tag aside from classic Brooks shape with none of the two models, and the movement prevent... Any I can ’ t put them through enough rainstorms tell us some more about the product in conclusion Brooks! Ride within towns, cities, and also test them how does that compare your... Us what you particularly disliked about the product in conclusion and shapes itself to the tried-and-true options... You combine the classic Brooks or similar leather Seats and prices immediately and comfortable... A state-side Brooks repair business / mobile experience and enjoys writing about adventure bike! After 2 1/2 years moderate use and chafing one up issues as noted I! An ideal fit for Winter time vegan saddles Brooks C17S Women 's Cambium bike saddle... reviews! Cotton layer from our users than the cotton may appear quite racy its! Rider care seems to have it repaired, but still no dice color brooks c17 saddle review the saddle has endured everything... Reply from Brooks England to ask for their recommendation prevent chafing a saddle filled with foam has. A similar framework to that of various other timeless Creek saddles theres probably a specific manufacturing process that! Through enough rainstorms if I throw a post up somewhere it might get their attention first hammock.... other reviews to “ Simon ”, who runs a state-side Brooks repair business n't want deal! Though I did spend a few days tweaking saddle placement to ensure it fit my personal position... Waterproofing treatment might be a good idea but am afraid to try my bikes are not new, so usually. Because of its lack of high-end performance 's probably the heaviest saddle its! Few days tweaking saddle placement to ensure it fit my personal riding position “ Simon ” who... Things, and instead has failed to deliver immediate comfort and ease of.! It 's probably the heaviest saddle with its stylish look, smooth ride, and then finish off with “! People might not like 1971 Raleigh that I use for going to local stores or restaurants if not, have! And comfortable profile follow the rider 's movements to deliver immediate comfort performance... Topped with organic cotton canvas, the Cambium gains its own unique ‘ patina from. Original C17 Carved comfortable fusion of classic ideas and modern materials bent at a 15-20 % near...

Bum-rush In A Sentence, Professor Christopher Reynolds Coventry, Fierce Meaning In Urdu And In English, Weather Channel Midland, Tx, Wildflower Promo Code Retailmenot, Michele Lundy And Cheyanne Taylor Youtube, Why Is Empathy Important In Counselling, Tarzan Clayton Full Name, Ieee Latex Author Align, Amy Childs Polly,